Monday, January 18, 2010

A Year of Deer, Episode 2: Slow Cooker Lasagna

My second foray into cooking with venison happened yesterday. The absolutely delicious end product increased my affinity for both venison and my crock pot. The meal was Slow Cooker Lasagna (a big thanks to Allison for giving me the recipe) and I simply substituted a pound of ground venison for the ground beef the recipe calls for.

The ingredients: ground venison, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, no-cook lasagna noodles, and Parmesan cheese. 


The finished product: 

 

The verdict: If I hadn't previously received assurances and glowing reviews of this recipe from Allison, I would have been pretty skeptical that the sauce, noodles, and cheese that went into the crock would come out as a bona fide lasagna four hours later. But it did, quite beautifully, and it was GOOD. The recipe, which I made in my 6 quart oval crock pot, yielded 6 very generous servings. This is one of those meals where the leftovers are really something to look forward to! It's definitely going on our "favorites" list.

No comments: