Monday, August 30, 2010

Miscellany Monday

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

(1) autumn stirrings
Yesterday the hubby and I visited Morton Arboretum to get our nature fix with some hiking. While there we browsed the gift shop, which was bursting with new fall decor items. I get giddy just thinking about the ever increasing proximity of autumn. At present I am also quite pleased with our new dining room table, acquired via Craigslist, which came with a matching Lazy Susan. The moment I spied a round precision-cut leaf place mat yesterday, I new they would be perfect companions. It went on the table the minute we got home. Never mind that it's still August, and that tomorrow the temps in Chicagoland will return to the 90s (see below). In this house, autumn is stirring.

(2) peak day alert
Dear ComEd,
Thank you for notifying me, once again, that tomorrow's low 90s temps will result in peak demand for electricity. I know you mean well, but rather than inspire me to greater energy conservation, your suggestion that I "set my thermostat to 78 degrees" inspires angst instead. I would love to have a thermostat. I would be delighted if it was 78 degrees in my apartment. Alas, I do not have a thermostat. I have a couple of circa-1982 wall-mounted air conditioning units that guzzle power and run constantly on the highest setting, which produces a modest output of moderately cool air that reduces the humidity tolerably but rarely gets it below 82 in here, which my landlord describes as "working great." So, thanks anyway for the notification.
Sincerely,
Sweating Suz
(3) banana bread
Sometimes I'll buy a bigger-than-necessary-for-two-people bunch of bananas, simply because I know the really ripe remnant will give me an excuse to make banana bread. And so, early this morning, I bustled around my kitchen and produced this delicious loaf of chocolate chip banana bread. Is it breakfast? Or is it dessert? Today: both. (My apologies for being too lazy to take it out of the bag for a pic. I should be starting dinner right now.)

2 comments:

NoCoMom said...

If it makes you feel any better I am already excited for Christmas decorations! And I love your new table! : )

Dorcas said...

I love that lazy suzanne. That's super cute! As for Autumn. That's my favorite season. I love to decorate. So refreshing! Thanks for sharing your randomness.

~blessings
Dorcas
http://4sweetangels.blogspot.com/