Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Suz's Rad Stuff: Galena Garlic Co.

Just when you thought I was about to post about venison again*, it's time for another installment of Suz's Rad Stuff! (You're on the edge of your seat, right?)

When Travis and I were in Galena for Valentine's weekend, one of the many shops we wandered into as we strolled along Main Street was the storefront for Galena Garlic Company. I asked the young woman working there if the garlic is actually grown in Galena, and she told me that indeed it is. I'm not sure where I'd gotten the idea from (because I don't recall ever really having a conscious thought about where garlic is grown), but when confronted by the truth that garlic grows quite well in Galena, I realized that for some reason I'd assumed garlic must be grown somewhere warm and exotic. Guess not.

Anyway, garlic is just one of the many products offered by Galena Garlic Company. They also have rubs and seasonings, flavored sea salts and sugars, vinegars, and olive oils (the components for most of those, however, are imported).

While in the store we sampled a few of the balsamic vinegars, and decided to purchase a bottle as one of our souvenirs from the weekend. We decided on Cinnamon Pear Balsamic Vinegar, and I am featuring it here in Suz's Rad Stuff because it is CRAZY good.

So far I've only used it to make a vinaigrette for spinach-apple-gorgonzola-and-whatever-else-I-feel-like-throwing-in-there salads, but I have a feeling it's going to be slammin' when used for other purposes, such as drizzling on strawberries (so excited for those to be in season soon) and maybe glazing some chicken.

*In case you were a bit disappointed not to see another episode of Year of Deer, not to worry...tomorrow night we're having Azorean Spiced Venison Stew! Stay tuned for the verdict!

No comments: