- Strawberries & Champagne Punch
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Baked Scoops
- "Margarita" Fruit Dip with fresh pineapple, strawberries, and Nilla Wafers
- Angel Food Cake Squares & Brownie Bites Topped with Whipped Cream & Strawberries
We played an informative game of Bridal Bingo, where the guests filled their bingo cards by selecting words/phrases from a list of items having to do with the wedding and/or Allison & Alex's relationship. Allison was the "caller," pulling a slip of paper from a bowl, reading the word/phrase, and then sharing a little bit about its significance. Crowd favorites were "Asian it up" and "tea ceremony," which prompted an on-the-spot fashion show of Allison's dress for the Chinese tea ceremony & reception in L.A. The winners received prizes which were, of course, all strawberry themed (nail polish, lip gloss, body wash, and (my favorite themed discovery)Alberto VO5 "Champagne Kiss" shampoo & conditioner, of which Charity took a whiff and declared it would make her want to eat her hair).
Allison worked her way through a pile of gifts from Bed, Bath & Beyond and Crate & Barrel. She also received a beautiful purse to use for the wedding day, knit by one of her co-workers (see photo at right). Cleaning up and deciding where the gifts would go prompted Carol (her mother, in town for the shower) to undertake the spontaneous reorganization of all the kitchen cabinets and drawers.
Finally, the guests took home favors in the form of little plastic champagne bottles labeled with "Allison & Alex / August 9, 2008" and filled with strawberry cheesecake Jelly Belly beans.
Strawberry Mango Salsa
2 Tb balsamic vinegar
2/3 C orange juice
2 Tb lime juice
red onion, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 ripe mangoes, diced
1 pint strawberries, diced
6 or so fresh mint leaves, torn
- In a large bowl, stir together the balsamic vinegar and juices.
- Dump the beans and onion into the bowl. Gently fold in the mango and strawberries. Add the mint and mix well.
- Cover and chill at least 20 minutes before serving. Makes enough for probably 12-15 people.