Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Driven to Dream

Though I've lived in the Chicagoland area most of my life, there remain quite a few "quintessentially Chicago" places and events that I have yet to experience. I've been working on that over the past couple years, and so gradually I am starting to feel like a more legitimate Chicagoan. I've now been to a Cubs game at Wrigley. Watched the fireworks at the Taste of Chicago. Seen the big Christmas tree and shopped the little marketplace in Daley Plaza. Went ice skating at Millennium Park. Etc.

This past weekend I checked another experience off my list by attending the Chicago Auto Show for the first time. Though my knowledge of and concern for cars is fairly minimal, I have to say the whole experience pleasantly exceeded my expectations. It was fun to wander through the displays by all the different manufacturers, comparing and contrasting the various models. I sat in quite a few of them (after moving the seat back) and (though I am committed to my dear Malibu until age and infirmity require her retirement) had to admit it was fun to dream about which car I'd bring home if price and practicality were conveniently out of the picture. Though I am still attached to the idea of a Mini Cooper in metallic royal blue with white racing stripes (especially after sitting in one and finding that it did not feel as small as I thought it might), the model that caught my eye and imagination on Saturday was the new Volkswagen Eos convertible. Yeah, I could rock one of those.


1 comment:

C+J=S said...

My favorite spot at the Chicago Auto Show is the conversion vans! I mean there are crazy things at the auto show but the conversion vans take the cake! It's strange beacuse I would never dare to drive one, but I like the creativity and all the tiny compartments full of exciting things like minature televisions and built in bars. It's kind of like the feeling when you enter a hotel room for the first time and just have to open all the doors and drawers... or is it just me?