Friday, January 06, 2006

The Big Nine-Seven

I'd like to give a birthday shout out to my grandpa, Sture (pronounced Stir-ee), who celebrated his 97th birthday yesterday. Yes, that means he was born in 1909. Crazy to think about, huh?

I went to visit him last night and we talked about Dusty Baker's mismanagement of the Cubs, the male/female ratio of big winners on Wheel of Fortune and what I need to do to in order to get on the show, my brother's potential as a professional bowler (one of Grandpa's favorite topics these days), life in Kuwait, and learning English as a Second language as a kid when all he knew was Swedish.

He also shared this nugget of wisdom, gleaned from one of his birthday cards: "The secret to a long life is to keep having birthdays." Thanks for showing us how it's done, Grandpa.

No comments: