Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ever since my friend and former co-worker Tirzah shared this recipe with me, these cookies have become a MUST every time autumn rolls back around. I was asked to bring a dessert to a church function last night, and I knew these would be perfect. True to form, my plate of cookies was one of the first ones empty. That's just how good these cookies are. Make them and you'll see!

Ingredients: 
2 cups shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 15-oz can pure pumpkin
4 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 12-oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions: 
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, mix in the eggs, then the pumpkin. 
  3. Add the flour mixture, and mix on low speed until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. 
  4. This is a fairly wet dough. Chill in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes and it will be a little easier to work with. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350.
  5. Drop by tablespoon-full onto cookie sheet. (I use my medium-size cookie scoop for these.)
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until center of cookies no longer look wet. Let set for 2 minutes on pan, then remove to cooling rack and cool completely. 
A couple notes: 
  1. This recipe makes about 5-6 dozen cookies.You can easily halve the recipe if you don't want that many cookies; I make it this way because if I only use one cup out of a can of pumpkin, I never know what to do with the rest, and don't want it to go to waste.
  2. The final consistency of these cookies is more soft and chewy (cake-like) than crumbly and crunchy (cookie-like). And that's a very good thing.

2 comments:

NoCoMom said...

Yay! For the pumpkin cookies : )

Emmy said...

Suz-I made these this past weekend and they were delicious! :) and a hit at the cookie exchange! thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.