Monday, September 13, 2010

An Apple a Day: Monday

Since I have a bushel of apples in my fridge from going apple-picking on Labor Day (see previous post), it's time to put them to good use. Each day this week (M-F) I'll be posting a recipe that uses apples...some of them are tried-and-true favorites, while others I'll be testing out for the first time this week. I hope you'll find one or two recipes intriguing enough to try yourself! Happy autumn!

Today's recipe is for Creamy Chicken Apple Chili. There are so many things I appreciate about chili. Among them: (a) the way it warms you up from the inside out; (b) beans are a really inexpensive, healthy, and filling ingredient; and (c) there are endless variations. Of the many different kinds of chili I've made (including three-bean turkey chili, Hawaiian chili, smoky BBQ venison chili, vegetarian chili, and pumpkin chili), this is the recipe I come back to most often. It's not what most people think of when they think chili, but BOY OH BOY is it good. It's like a hug in a bowl. Even my meat-loving husband has declared this his favorite chili.

I make a few changes to the original recipe (by Rachael Ray):
  • I use only about a pound or so of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (vs. 2 lbs of chicken tenders)
  • I use about half as much shredded cheese (1 cup is plenty!), and whatever I have on hand, whether it's a jack-cheddar blend, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, or most recently, havarti. The flavor changes a little bit, of course, but it's always been good. 
  • I make it with pinto beans; I really like their texture in this.
  • I usually serve it with corn muffins instead of tortillas.

Leave a comment and let me know if you try this recipe yourself!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hi Suz! I think it's wonderful that you and your hubby have a date night every week! Friday is our "date night" too! I so look forward to it.- Thanks for your encouragement about the new additions to WP coming up this fall.- Btw, this recipe sounds yummy. I love chili (and apples) and will bookmark it for future reference... Have a great day my friend!

NoCoMom said...

This makes me thing of the Apple Chicken baby food Sarah eats (though I'm sure your chili is MUCH better!). I'm excited for your recipes as we have an apple tree full of fruit just waiting to be eaten : )