Thursday, May 10, 2007

I Could Have Been an Edwards Sister.

Fact: Jonathan Edwards (Puritan theologian of "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" fame) had 10 sisters (no brothers), all of whom were at least six feet tall.

You know, I bet they're glad basketball hadn't been invented yet, because complete strangers would have come up to them all the time and asked if they played, and that sure does get annoying.

Opinion: Jonathan Edwards never met a comma he didn't like.

My latest freelance endeavor has been proofreading and indexing a volume containing an interpretation of Edwards' Religious Affections and Personal Narrative. In the preface the author relays his hope that this work will whet the reader's appetite for Edwards' larger body of work. Not the case here. I am glad to be rid of him and his egregious comma abuse. Somewhere in the midst of my tedious task I decided to pick a sentence at random and count: 10 commas, 2 semicolons. Seriously, Jon?!?! We'll have some punctuation business to hash out in heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a friend of Mary's. I like the way you think!

At this moment, I am waiting to be a contestant on a latino dating show. I know that you don't know me, so you don't have much context for that, but how often will I be able to say that? So I thought I'd seize the opportunity.