Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Chasing Autumn

George Eliot wrote:

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."

I think George and I could have shared passionate conversations about our love of Autumn. Spring, Summer, and Winter all have their charms, but Autumn mesmerizes and excites me in a way that is unmatched by the other seasons. I simply revel in it. Even though it signals the earth's decent into a period of sleep and death, it is when my senses come alive.

In 48 hours I'll be boarding a plane and trusting its wings to fly me East to Boston, and so in a way I feel as though I am Eliot's bird, chasing after Autumn. Of course, the analogy fails in that it is autumn here now as well, but there is something intriguing and exotic about experiencing the season somewhere new.

Now that I think of it, that would be a pretty cool premise for a book some day: trotting the globe, chasing the successive Autumns...

"Chasing Autumn" by Suzanne Mylastnamehere -- coming someday to a bookstore near you.

No comments: