1 orange pepper, diced (use any color pepper you like; I like orange)
1 onion, diced
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 in chunks
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups beef broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (29 oz) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed (next time I might try kidney or half & half)
3/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 Tb ancho chile pepper powder
3-4 Tb cilantro, chopped
Shredded cheddar or co-jack cheese, for topping
- Brown meat in skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up with utensil, until no longer pink. Put meat into the crock of a 5-6 qt slow cooker.
- Add pepper, onion, squash, and garlic to crock. Give everything a good stir.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans, BBQ sauce, and chile powder to crock. Give it another good stir.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or 4-5 hours on high.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro. Ladle into bowls and serve with shredded cheese for topping.