Friday, March 09, 2007

Pantry Purging and Impromtu Parfaits

"You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, 'Let's get some parfait,' they say, 'No, I don't like no parfait'? Parfaits are delicious." - Donkey, in Shrek
An evening at home with the company of a good friend is, for me, a rare treat. Last night Charity came over after work. We made dinner together (the "Chicken Curry in a Hurry" recipe making a tasty repeat performance) and watched Survivor. We lounged on my furniture and talked. We came to an awkward conversational lull and giggled about it. I showed Charity my recently catalogued and alphabetized spice rack. She told me I'm "special." I opened another cabinet, and spied a package of vanilla pudding. I decided to make the pudding. Then I thought, what's better than pudding? A parfait! At which point I got really excited about using my parfait glasses, which have sat untouched in my cabinet for far too long. Then it was a question of what to layer in the parfait. Charity suggested that graham crackers might lend a pleasing textural aspect. Did I have graham crackers? I had no idea. Which prompted an all-out purging and reorganization of my pantry, which (as a "J," a la Myers Briggs) brought me an immense amount of satisfaction, while Charity looked on, mildly incredulous and not a little curious about what kind of logic I apply to the organization of said pantry.

I am thankful for evenings at home with friends. I am thankful for friends with whom I can wear my neuroses on my sleeve, as it were, and know they love me anyway. And I do love me a good parfait.

No comments: