Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Watching the World Go By

Did you know that if you stand in one place for a couple hours, watching thousands upon thousands of people run by you, and then you look down at the pavement, it will seem like it's moving slowly in the opposite direction, like all of sudden you've gained the ability to observe the earth's rotation?

It's a strange sensation. I discovered this phenomenon when Allison and I were at the Chicago Marathon on Sunday. (I checked with Allison to make sure I wasn't crazy--she said the earth moved for her too.)

Well, that's all I wanted to say. Have some fun with it the next time a marathon or a herd of wildebeests comes to your town.
__________________________________________________

P.S. Congratulations to Wladimir, debut marathoner, for finishing in 4:49.

No comments: